We have a lot of fun in the Isernio’s test kitchen. We especially love trying seasonally-inspired recipes that feature our favorite sausage or fresh ground chicken. So when spent an afternoon playing around with stuffed squash, we thought we’d share some of our top tips for making this seasonal dish in your kitchen!
Stuffed squash is easily customizable and super healthy. Plus, is looks so fancy when it’s served that your guests will never guess how simple it really is. You can stuff almost any type of squash, but these tips work best with winter squash, which includes:
- Butternut squash
- Sugar pumpkins
- Acorn squash
- Spaghetti squash
- Delicata squash
Grocery stores are brimming with all sorts of fun-shaped squash this time of year. You can even try something new that you’ve never seen before!
Here are general cooking guidelines:
- Cut squash in half and scoop out the seeds.
- Place cut-side down in a baking dish with ¼ inch of water.
- Bake at 350 degrees until it’s tender when pierced by a fork (about 45 minutes, but smaller squash may take less time).
- Prepare your filling while your squash is cooking. All filling ingredients (including meats) should be fully cooked.
- When your squash are done turn them over, drizzle with olive oil, season with salt & pepper, and add your filling. Sprinkle with cheese (if desired).
- Bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
When we made our sausage stuffed squash, we made our filling out of Isernio’s Italian sausage, onion, garlic, tomatoes, carrots, and mozzarella, then topped it with parsley and Pecorino Romano.
However, you really don’t need a recipe. Stuffed squash is so easy that you really can use any mix of ingredients that sounds good to you! Here are some more suggestions:
- Sausage, onion, diced apples, and sage
- Ground chicken, tomato sauce, onion, and garlic with ricotta or mozzarella (great with spaghetti squash!)
- Sausage, peppers, onions, and tomatoes
- Sausage, kale, onions, and thyme
Make your own combo with any ground meat, veggies, and fresh herbs. You’ll be amazed how easy this dinner is! And if you choose our Isernio’s sausage or ground chicken as your main ingredient, any ingredient combination is bound to be amazing.